Monday 5 December 2011

Mendeley.com

I have also signed up to Mendeley.com, which is a reference and article library.

The features overlap with endnote.web, which I already use, but they are mutually compatible which is handy. The advantage of endnote is that they should provide support (though as its endnote web this is delegated to someone at each university, and the error I reported on my preferred style has not been resolved).

Mendeley has various advantages over endnote. First of all, it is free to use, whereas Endnote is expensive unless you are a member of a university which subscribes. Secondly, it is set up to allow collaboration and sharing of ideas and suggestions. Third, it will store your pdfs for you. This could be handy if you need it on another computer (though you could presumably just as easily download the original again), or if your hard drive breaks (as has happened to me).

Since I've invested so much in endnote I will stick to this for the time being, but there is a chance I will move over to Mendeley at some point in the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's great to see you exploring alternatives to EndNote and evaluating which features would provide added value. This is exactly what 23 Things is all about.

Post a Comment